About the church
An utterly distinctive building, sometimes described as ‘the cathedral of the mountains’, St Padarn’s Church (listed Grade 2*) rises majestically above the High Street. Sited on a rocky outcrop behind the former Dolbadarn Hotel (itself one of the oldest buildings in Llanberis), the church has a garden rather than a graveyard and offers fine views of the Dinorwig Quarry, especially on one of the many misty days! Inside, the lofty ceilings and cruciform (‘cross-shaped’) layout give something of a Byzantine feel.
Visiting the church
The church is open every day for visitors and pilgrims (we’re on the North Wales Pilgrim’s Way). There is a children’s corner, a second-hand bookstall and a ‘diorama’ of Eryri - a focus for reflection on the mountainscape or a handy way of planning your next walk!
Services are bilingual with 9.30am Communion service every Sunday apart from the 2nd in the month when there is Morning Prayer. Worship is always followed by refreshments! There is a time of quiet prayer at 9am on Thursdays.
A bit of history
Dedicated in 1885, the church was built with funding from the Assheton Smith family (owners of the Dinorwig Quarry) to provide for the village’s expanding population. Designed by Arthur Baker, a pupil of George Gilbert Scott, it is considered ‘a very fine example of a high Victorian church in an inventive Early English style’. Previously, worship had taken place at Church House (later used as the church hall and then sold for housing) and before that a ‘mission church’ still standing as part of the Mountain Railway complex. The late medieval font came from the church of St Peris, having spent some time in the rectory garden!